We make a distinction between three different categories of pigeons: racing pigeons, exotic pigeons and show pigeons. Each category has its own needs. Based on those needs, at Versele-Laga we develop balanced mixtures for every type of pigeon. So you should not just give any old standard pigeon food to your fancy pigeons. Why not?
What determines the correct choice of feed?
Within the show pigeon category, we again have many different types and breeds. Depending on the type and breed of your pigeon, a specific feed will often be recommended. The activity level of the bird is also important. For example, a show pigeon needs less fat and energy-rich food than a high-flyer or tumbler, which has to make greater physical efforts.
Furthermore, the type of food you use strongly depends on the period. For example, a show pigeon will be fed different food during the exhibition season versus during the moulting or breeding period.
According to the type of fancy pigeon
Within the fancy pigeon category, there are 10 different sorts of pigeons. Of course, not all of them require a different type of feed. However, the composition of the food will change for certain types. What are these 10 types of pigeons?
- Form pigeons: these pigeons are characterized by their body shape, drawings and color in the plumage, foot feathering, round crests, pointed hoods ...
Examples: show racer and lahore
- Wart pigeons: these pigeons are characterized by the nose warts and enlarged structure of the eye rim.
- Hen pigeons: these pigeons are characterized by the tail that is raised and their plump build, just like chickens.
- Croppers: these pigeons are characterized by the large crop. Croppers are classified into giant, medium and dwarf croppers.
Example: Ghent cropper
- Painted pigeons: these pigeons are characterized by the different color variations and unique drawings.
Example: Saxon colored pigeon
- Trumpeters: these pigeons are characterized by the drumming sound they make while flying.
Example: Arabian Trumpeter
- Structure pigeons: these pigeons are characterized by specific physical properties. This category includes many different varieties, with their own typical characteristics.
Jacobin or Capuchine: with large collar
Indian Fantail: with a large tail, in the same shape as that of a male peacock
Frillback: with curled feathers
- Highflyers and tumblers: these come in different breeds, each with their visual characteristics. These pigeons are used for exhibitions and physical competitions.
Example: Akmanii Tumbler
- Racing pigeons and ring beaters: this is a small group of breeds with an interesting flight pattern. During the mating season, the cocks fly in circles around the hens. Example: Belgian ring beater
- Pigeons with pearl eyes: the eye colour of these pigeons changes due to maize. This food contains beta carotene, which is responsible for this pigment change.
Example: Tumblers with pearl eyes (white eyes)